CIVICUS Network of west african NGO platforms
World Alliance for Citizen Participation
CIVICUS is a global alliance of civil society organisations and activists dedicated to strengthening citizen action and civil society around the world. We strive to promote marginalised voices, especially from the Global South, and have members in more than 170 countries throughout the world. Since 1993, we have been dedicated to enhancing the rights, freedoms, health and vitality of civil society as a whole. We’re also a global team, using new technologies to connect us around the world.
• We work for civil society, protecting and growing ‘civic space’ – the freedoms of expression, association and assembly – that allow citizens and organisations to speak out, organise and take action.
• We monitor, research and analyse global events and trends that impact civil society.
• We strengthen civil society by bringing it together to generate and share knowledge, to improve its working and to act collectively.
• We work to ensure that civil society voices are heard. To achieve impact, we communicate, campaign and advocate.
REPAOC is a network of 14 national West and Central Africa NGO platforms, working together to address issues faced by highly marginalised populations. REPAOC strives to fight against poverty and promote human rights through collective South-South and North-South actions at the regional and international levels.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF JOB PURPOSE:
CIVICUS’ Fellows Programme is an exciting new venture in which key professionals are placed with CIVICUS national/regional member organisations for a period of 2 years. During this round, the fellow will be placed with Réseau des Plates-formes d’ONG d’Afrique de l’Ouest et du Centre (REPAOC), based in Dakar, Senegal.
The primary aim of the programme is to promote knowledge exchange and learning, and build the capacity of both the host organisation and their members.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• At least 2-3 years of work experience in institutional capacity building, network development, and/or civil society strengthening
• Demonstrated long term commitment to civil society and citizen action
• Demonstrated or proven experience with capacity building/training/institutional strengthening
• Written and verbal fluency in English and French
KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCIES:
• Knowledge of global/regional dynamics and civil society issues, particularly West Africa
• Understanding of membership and networking principles
• Proven ability to work in a diverse, decentralised, and global environment
• Proven ability to work independently, problem solve within a team, and adapt to different situations
• Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity
• Willingness to travel and ability to drive
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THIS ROLE
1. Strengthen the capacity of REPAOC and their member organisations
2. Support the delivery of REPAOC’s key programmes objectives
3. Promote knowledge exchange and learning between REPAOC and their members, and between CIVICUS, CIVICUS members, and REPAOC
MAIN ACTIVITIES OF THIS ROLE
1. Strengthen institutional capacity (40%)
• Develop capacity building approaches to strengthen REPAOC’s national and regional platforms
• Conduct trainings with REPAOC and their members
• Advise REPAOC by acting as a resource person in implementation works
2. Deliver key activities related to REPAOC’s programme objectives (40%)
• Develop an action plan to support, where relevant, REPAOC’s regional programmes related to the SGDs.
3. Knowledge Exchange and Learning (20%)
• Contribute knowledge to CIVICUS’ peer learning exchanges, which will convene CIVICUS members around specific themes
• Contribute knowledge and research to both CIVICUS and REPAOC’s member networks
• Support regional coordination of REPAOC and CIVICUS’ member networks
• Share knowledge and experience through CIVICUS social media, OpEds, and other publications, in collaboration with the communication team
Location: Dakar, Senegal
Start date: anticipated to be July or August, starting with a 2 weeks induction in Johannesburg, South Africa
Duration: 24 months
Salary: US$ 36 000 annually
To apply please submit (in English or French):
• A motivational letter answering the below questions (200 words max for each question)
o Please describe your experience working or living in a developing country or marginalized community, including where you were and what you did (professionally, academics or personally).
o You just disembarked from a 12-hour bus trip to a rural village to meet with community leaders. However, the person you are to meet at the bus station is not there. What do you do?
o How will you cope with working aboard for 2 years with limited visits to your friends and family?
• A detailed CV
• Contact details of three current references
to firstname.lastname@example.org by 16th June, 2017.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you not have heard from us within 2 weeks after your application, please consider your application as being unsuccessful.